Hiking can be a hectic but very fun activity!!! Given that a hike usually lasts more than 90 minutes, you need to plan your nutrition accordingly to make the best of the experience…
Some nutrition tips to follow:
• 2 to 3 hours before hiking eat low glycemic foods (All bran cereals, natural Muesli, whole or skimmed milk, Sweetened Yoghurt, sponge Cake, Apples or kiwi fruits) to load your body with glycogen - A slow burning fuel.
• 15 minutes before the activity or during the first part of your hike drink a high glycemic drink (sports drink or a fruit juice); it will spare the glycogen your body stored and burn fat for energy - therefore increasing endurance.
• Consume 5 to 6 small meals per day instead of two to three large ones. This will help you modulate your insulin and blood sugar levels.
• Do not consume large amounts of fat (manakish, knefe, burgers, pizza, french fries,…) neither before nor after the hike.
• Your body will lose fluids through sweating and dehydration will significantly reduce your performance; so DRINK PLENTY OF WATER, a few sips every 10 to 15 minutes. If you get dehydrated you will start to feel dizzy, to suffer from headaches and you will lose energy.
By following Some simple tips you will maintain your energy and benefit from a fun and healthy day!!!
Viviane Rhayem – Clinical Dietitian Dekwaneh, Slaf Street, Mikael Center, Bloc B, 2nd floor, Above Bank of Beirut Clinic: 01/69 64 49 Mobile: 03/13 55 01 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org